Monday, April 13, 2009

Potty Training

**Update - End of Day 8**

Okay, so I have to admit that I thought this potty training thing was going to be a lot quicker than it has been, and there have been times in these last 8 days that I've wanted to revert back to the "easiness" of diapers. At least with diapers, I only had one little booty to clean, rather than a booty and a mess on the floor!!

But, this past weekend went very well for little Tyler. I was kind of nervous that he would regress some, with some many people around and so much going on with Lucas' party. But, he did SO well. I didn't want to have to worry about him having an accident during the party, so I felt he should wear a pull-up. However, during the week, he had been very lazy when wearing a pull-up, so I was afraid he would just go in in. Instead of just wearing a pull-up, I left him in his big boy undies, so he would know if he went, but slipped a pull-up over them, to catch any messes. Brilliant, right? And guess what?, no accidents! Yeah, Tyler.

In fact, all weekend he had only one #1 accident, while outside playing baseball with Pap...he just didn't want to stop playing to come inside to pee-pee. He has woken up from several naps and overnight stretches 100% dry! And, he will now take himself to the bathroom or potty chair and sit down all by himself to go! I'm so proud of him!!

Now, #2's...well, they are still a work in progress. But...he is now at least coming to me as he is doing it to tell me he is "stinky". And, he will try to sit on the potty, but we still can't make it come out. I'm afraid he's going to make himself constipated, because I keep interrupting the process to try and have him go on the potty and then he doesn't! But, these are steps in the right direction, I guess. It hasn't happened in the "3-4 day window", that my book promised me, but then again, Tyler isn't so much the "typical" kid. So, I guess I shouldn't expect "typical" results.

**Update - End of Day 2**

Today was a pretty successful day. I think we have #1 mastered. He will even go on his own now...with no prompting or bribery!! We still have a few aim issues to iron out though!! :) Oh, and we have to get the underpants back on. I resorted to no pants whatsoever, because he seemed to go MUCH easier this way! We had only one #1 accident today and that was with the underpants!

Now we just need to work on #2...for some reason, he has a little fear associated with this, and is very resistant to sit on the potty. He will tell me it's time, but won't sit. :(

*********
Yesterday (Monday, April 6) we began "Potty Training Bootcamp". We know Tyler is developmentally ready for this task, but with this strong-willed child, I wasn't sure what to expect.

I have to admit after yesterday, I was ready to pack up the potty, dig out the diapers and try again later. But, after a late night success last evening, I was ready to start again today. Unfortunately, our morning got off to a rough start with an accident (of both sorts). However, we have now gone 3 hours with no such "messes" and he has told me he needed to go "pee pee" 2 times!!

Now, if we can get the #2's down, we'll be good to go!



No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin